Here’s a way to satisfying that craving for dessert that will deliver plenty of carbs to help blast you to the finish line of whatever exercise you’ve chosen for the day. For a pre-workout or post-workout snack, you could also replace the tortilla with rice cakes.
3 Medjool dates, pitted
2 cups fresh strawberries (*raspberries*)
4 teaspoons chia seeds
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (*lime juice*)
1 cup whipped cream cheese
2 teaspoons lemon zest (*lime zest*)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 8-inch gluten free tortillas (*rice cakes*)
*1/3 cup chopped fresh mint (fresh basil)*
blender or food processor
mixing bowl (medium)
zip bags or tin foil
1. Using a blender or food processor, purée together strawberries, dates, and lemon juice.
2. Place mixture in a container and stir in chia seeds.
3. Cover and chill to thicken for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
4. Stir together whipped cream cheese, lemon zest, and vanilla.
5. Keep chilled until ready to use, for up to 5 days.
1. Spread some of the cream cheese mixture on a tortilla, and top with strawberry purée and mint.
2. Tightly roll wrap in foil or place in small zip bags for transport.
3. If using a rice cake follow #1.
4. If using a rice cake and wanting to transport spread cream cheese mixture on 2 rice cakes, put together like a sandwich and place in zip bag.
5. To remove twist rice cakes away from each other (might want to bring a plastic knife if one cake has more cream cheese than the other).
5. Put purée mixture in a 2-3 oz to go container and drizzle on top when ready to eat.
Credit: Rocket Fuel